Tuesday 8 September 2015

FOUNDATION ART AND DESIGN /STROUD COLLEGE -- ILLUSTRATION.

Foundation Art and Design will be the opportunity to explore each subject in depth to understand where my strengths and weakness are.

Today the Foundation Class where split into six groups (A,B,C,D,E,F). I am in group C which means I started my first day being introduced to illustration because our tutor specifies in this subject.

ILLUSTRATION --

When i think of Illustration I see myself drawing headings or characters for books but today we were instructed to choose a drawing or an experimental piece in our sketchbooks of our summer work and expand this piece further onto an A1 paper.
Expanding a drawing further and enlarging this was quite a challenge because there was no specific starting point or outline to start from. But I decided to stay in my comfort zone first and use charcoal to create line and texture from the table underneath.

As a group we chose an illustration of a feather. This was slightly harder because it was very confined but once we all started to take the lines further off the page it became much easier.
Charcoal is a very 'messy' medium but i thought it would give the image more strength.

After looking at the final outcome, I find my drawing (in the right hand corner) too "tight" and almost too compacted. I like the texture I got from the table underneath the paper but if I focused on this texture a bit more by adding colour or defining the circles in the texture I think as whole this piece would of looked more effective.

What I have learnt in this illustration so far, is that you do need to have a very open-mind and free imagination. This is a challenge for me and may be a challenge I need to work on more.

Our next assignment was to put our objects into three categories ( Man-made, Neutral and Natural). We were then told to choose one the categories to sit at and organise the objects from smallest to biggest. I chose to sit at the man-made category because they were quite graphical and minimal.


I wanted to choose objects that would have an interesting perception and quite simple shapes. After choosing a section of the objects I found I these object (in the image below) i thought this would look quite fun and unique to illustrate. I started by doing a quick sketch with a pencil and then outline it with charcoal. But as soon as I used the charcoal it smudged and did not make the drawing effective. It wasn't what I envisioned, I think i used the wrong mediums and the proportions weren't accurate because I was rushing and not taking the time I needed. I think what would of helped was to stop and study my illustration from a distance to see what I needed. I think my idea would of been effective but the outcome on the paper was not successful. If I added more blocks of colour in areas I think it would of brought the whole sketch together. 

Again, I was out of my comfort and too focused on planning rather than being spontaneous. 




No comments:

Post a Comment